I used to tell myself that I have no time to prepare lunch before work – primarily because I made myself into believing that. So I changed that thought by brainstorming simple recipes the night before and set the alarm 20 minutes earlier than the usual wake time.
Here’s one of the simple recipes I came up with and it takes about 15 minutes (with washing) to prepare.
Quick Tuna Pasta
Linguini or spaghetti – whichever you prefer
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp Italian herbs
1 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
1/2 a can of button mushrooms, cut
1/2 a can of tuna (flakes) in water
Salt to taste
1. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Add in button mushrooms & boil the pasta (with button mushrooms) until al dente; drain.
3. Place mushrooms and pasta onto a plate & pour olive oil.
4. Drain water from the tuna can & combine tuna with the cooked pasta.
5. Mix pasta with black pepper & Italian herbs.
You can always add in chilli flakes (crushed red pepper) for a spicier taste or replace the mushrooms with cherry tomatoes. If you don’t like tuna, you can always replace it with ham.
I usually bring this to work and have fruits after that. It’s a very simple & cheap meal that’s light and doesn’t make you feel restless and/or sleepy after lunch at work!